I am writing to provide guidance on student employment due to the limits placed on in-person activities and interactions for all students who live on campus, and undergraduates who reside in DeKalb or the county until Monday, Sept. 28. Please review this information and share it with employees who supervise student employees in your area.
Student employees are expected to be paid for their normal scheduled work hours from 9/12 to 9/28.
Supervisors have the following options:
- Continue to have the student employee report for work in on-campus departments.
- Have the student employee perform their work duties remotely if:
- The supervisor prefers that the student employee not come in the office, or
- the department’s hours have changed due to the new restrictions, or
- the student has returned to their permanent residence for this two-week period.
- Provide alternative work assignments or professional development opportunities, like JobsPlus online modules and events, for the student’s scheduled work hours if the student is unable to perform their job duties on campus or remotely.
Family First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) Benefit
If the student employee is not able to work in person or remotely because their health has been impacted by COVID-19, they can apply to be paid for their normal scheduled work hours over a two-week period using the single-use Family First benefit. Please refer the student employee to the information on applying for this benefit on the HRS website.
Hiring student employees during this time period
Departments that have started the hiring process for a student employee should only continue if the student employee is able to perform their job duties on campus or remotely. If this is not going to be possible, the hire should be delayed until 10/1.
Panel Discussion on Student Employment
Human Resource Services will host a Student Employment Panel Discussion for Managers online on Wednesday, Sept. 16, from 11 a.m. to noon. To RSVP, please email Karen Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org, and she will send you a link to the Teams meeting. The discussion will give supervisors and managers advise and direction about student employment options and opportunities during this time.
We realize that the decision to limit activities to prevent an outbreak of COVID-19 in our community came quickly, and we appreciate your prompt attention to making sure that student employees remain supported and engaged during this period. If you have any questions, please review the FAQ on this topic, or reach out to Human Resources Services at email@example.com. Thank you for your service to the NIU community.
Interim Chief Human Resource Officer